YarnsOur luxury yarns include :-
- Cashmere/Angora/Lambswool blend
- Shetland and Merino Aran weight
- Local Hebridean
- Small quantities of hand-spun local yarns
- Handspun Baby Camel
- Baby Alpaca
- Silk/Merino Laceweight
All of our dyed yarns are dyed for us by Shilasdair Yarns in specially designed dyeing cabinets using locally collected or imported natural dyes.
PLEASE NOTE -
Shilasdair Yarns have changed the composition of the blends used to make up both DK and 4Ply weight yarns. The new blend replaces the Cashmere with Alpaca and is now made up of:
- 10% White baby camel
- 10% Alpaca
- 40% Angora
- 40% Merino lambswool
Handling and Yardage remain the same but shades will vary so please make sure you purchase enough to complete your project.
- Colours are for guidance only and we do not have all the shades in stock all of the time.
- Yarns titled 'wool and wool mixes' have colour codes which are generically applicable to all Aran, luxury mix DK and 4ply garments in the Garments and KnitKits pages.
- The only exception to this are the natural shades of the undyed Shetland yarns (mid brown/dark brown and three shades of grey) these are available ONLY in Aran weight yarns.
- Cream yarn is available in Aran/DK and 4Ply weights.
- The nature of natural dyes, depending on where and when they are collected, whether the dyestuff is used fresh or dried means that colours cannot be exactly replicated. Therefore when making a choice please identify a range of colours in a particular type of yarn and we will send you some samples from which you can make your final selection.
- Please ensure that you order enough for your project as we cannot guarantee to be able to match the shade at a later date.
You can order using our "Contact Us & Order" page and payment can be made via Paypal, or you can contact the shop with your card details.
Hover over the images for their shade codes.
|Beautiful naturally coloured Baby Alpaca in DK||St Kilda Laceweight: A blend of Soay, Boreray and Shetland wools in 2ply||Brown Hebridean: A local Waternish wool in Light Aran Weight|
|50% Silk/50% Merino Mixture Laceweight|
|Aran - Dyed||100grm||150mtrs / 175yds||£8.95|
|Aran - Undyed||100grm||150mtrs / 175yds||£7.95|
|Luxury DK||100grm||300trs / 330yds||£12.75|
|Luxury 4ply||50grm||200mtrs / 220yds||£6.95|
|100grm||220mtrs / 240yds||£26.00|
|50grm||380mtrs / 416yds||£15.00|
Light Aran weight
(Imperial conversion: Please note that 100 gm is a little more than 3Żoz. Yarn gauges are given in both, prices in metric only.)
|Yarn||Needle Size Metric||Needle Size USA||No of Stitches||No of Rows|
|Aran, Shetland or Merino||4.5 or 5mm||7 or 8||18||24|
|Handspun Baby Camel||3.75mm||5||20||28|
|St Kilda Laceweight||2.5mm||5||42||50|
Postage charges will be in line with the current rates charged by the Royal Mail and will be notified at the time of purchase. Insurance extra if required.